Wednesday, June 10, 2009

1 week down

Today is the 1 week anniversary of my arrival in Peru. Doesn't seem like it's been that long (and my Spanish is still horrific)...

I committed myself to being un-sluggish today. I got up and went running. I ended up going to the coast and watching the waves for a while, then to Larcomar (the fanciest mall I'll ever see) and watching the waves from there, then I ran around town just to see some buildings, then came back to our place. Oh- about 10 min away from here I FELL!!! ahhaha on some stairs. I was really dragging my whole run, and I freaking missed the top stair- my keys and water bottle went flying. Fortunately there were no cars coming, otherwise I would've been sad to see my water explode (since it went rolling onto the road...). But I just wimpered/laughed and didn't even turn around to make eye-contact with the 5 people I'd just run passed. I couldn't even believe it. In the 6 years I've been running recreationally, I can only remember falling twice (almost once at SU, almost once at TCU, and twice in the last 3 weeks). Between my running follies and cooking injuries, I know I'm up for a Darwin Award nomination. Let's hope I just make it back to FW before anything too drastic happens (if I fall off Machu Picchu, it may be funny- but I will also be dead).

Anywho- there isn't a whole lot of "site-seeing" in Lima... so there's not a lot I can go do to occupy my time (I'd consider it about the same as site-seeing in Dallas... yeah there is stuff, but it's not Paris or anything). So after I showered, I went walking towards downtown Lima and saw a lot of fancy office buildings. It was nice, mostly because there were a lot of people in suits and they didn't seem to find me as fascinating as when I run in poorer neighborhoods. I then walked to La Huaca Pucllana, which are ruins located right here in Miraflores. I didn't go inside, but got some good views from the fence outside. There is a really nice restaurant in the ruins that Jason and I plan on going to... I'm excited for that.

After I got back (the closest "site" for me to walk to was about 25 min away from our apt, so I just decided to just come home), Jose Luis told me the water is going to be shut off from today until tomorrow afternoon. Ya know- it's not like I even care that much about it (we can't drink it, and I mean- it's not like I will die if I don't shower immediately after I run)... BUT - I am curious about the upcoming toilet situation. I mean, we're both going to have to go... please pray to God neither one of us gets sick in the next 24 hours. I mean, that would be absolutely hilarious in hindsight, but really, we only have one standing fan to circulate any air in this place, and I'm the one that has to stay here all day...

I washed all of our dishes and put some water in carafes in case we decide to cook tonight, but so far no problems (Jason still isn't home from work... I'm excited to see his reaction). BTW- it's 6:10pm, where IS he?? I want us to go to the Larcomar for dinner tonight- it is basically the same layout as the Oasis in Austin, but it's a mall instead of restaurant. There is a Hooters in addition to the Chilis and Tony Roma's, so you know we have good options ;)

I guess I will continue watching American TV with subtitulos until Jason gets back. It is already dark here... so hopefully we can walk somewhere good for dinner. I'm just going to post the link from my Facebook album for pictures... there are some old ones, but also new ones from my walk this afternoon.

Hasta luego...
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2025986&id=38600440&l=1c53a10761

1 comment:

  1. what is up with you and these accidents? seriously, be careful! sounds like you are seeing a lot...so jealous! have fun, chica!

    chatting with you on FB right now...ha.

    ReplyDelete