Friday, June 5, 2009

Day 2

Nothing too exciting has happened so far today. Yesterday, I ran to the Pacific Ocean. It was pretty amazing... there is a boardwalk called El Malecón that is paved really nicely, has lots of flowers, and a few parks along the way. There is a Gaudi-like park with benches and lots of tiles, and a famous statue called "El Beso." Jason and I are going to go running/walking around Miraflores for a while in a little bit. I'll get some more pictures then. He's currently doing dishes- our deal is whoever cooks doesn't have to clean. I like to cook, and I hate dishes- so this is perfect.

We actually had some sun yesterday- here's a picture of the mountains. Normally Lima is engulfed in garúa - which is basically a dense and never-ending layer of fog. Yesterday we got lucky, and hopefully it will be clear a few more times during our stay.


Anywho, after I went running yesterday, Jason got home from work and we went to the store. I was actually really surprised how "Americanized" the store was- it had everything you'd find at home, minus a frozen food section. In Spain, there were only a few stores on the outskirts of Granada that were "supermercados." Here, everything was made by Kraft, Nature Valley, Kellogs, Ragu, and whoever else you might imagine. It's kind of disappointing, honestly- I mean it is always nice to have access to the comfort foods from home, but part of being abroad is experiencing different foods. I don't think we're going to be very diversified by eating Old El Paso taco shells...

Anyways, we loaded up on soap, cooking stuff (olive oil, salt, pepper), snacks, etc. There are only 2 grocery stores in Miraflores, and the one we went to is only a 10 min walk from our apartment (so we're fortunate). We got as much as we could carry (still ended up being about 8 bags and two 7 liter jugs of water), came back, and cooked some pasta for dinner. For dessert we made chocolate chip muffins, without a muffin pan. Traveling can lead to such inventive cooking techniques :)

Here are some pictures from our cooking adventures last night:




Night view of Lima:


I'm glad I traveled to South America for a month of this: ;)


Hopefully we'll get some good ocean pictures later, and I'll post those tonight.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like fun so far! i agree about the food, btw.

    ReplyDelete