Friday, June 12, 2009

malditos pajaros

Nothing new to report here, really... Running has become the extent of my mobile life these days. I slept in, watched some TV and talked with some friends on the computer, then ran 7-8 miles. I don't even feel accomplished doing it because it is the ONLY physical activity I get other than moving from the couch to the computer (and I recently discovered the internet cable is long enough to reach the bed, which is further delaying my progress as a functional human being).

I did get some site-seeing in during my run... went to Av. Pardo (the "main" street), then Parque Kennedy, then I found a new street that connects Parque Kennedy with the ocean, so that was pretty cool. I ran farther down the coast than I ever have and got to see old parts of Miraflores... apparently THAT is where the money is. All of the buildings were ridiculously beautiful, and the running path was very nice (a lot more landscaping). There were some really cute little parks and lots of tourists over there... it was neat to see a new part of the city.

Um, the "highlight" of my day was when I stopped to watch some parasailers on my way back. I was watching them for about 3 minutes, then I looked down and noticed that I had bird shit on my shirt. I couldn't even believe it. Like falling while running, I can only remember getting shat on twice in my life (well, literally... metaphorically it happens all the time)- both of which happened in the last 3 weeks. WHAT IS GOING ON!?!? I wiped it off on some bricks, and actually was counting my blessings it was on my shirt and not my face; wherever the hell that shit came from was about 1cm away from hitting my nose. I mean, I was wearing a sports bra, thus my "chest" was pretty compact, and definitely not sticking out far passed my face. Yet that's where the pile o' green and white was. So either I was pulling an Exorcist with my head while running and that is how I missed eating poo, or the bird had a bazooka coming out of its ass and it used me as target practice. And what's even worse is that I'd been using that portion of my shirt to wipe off my face during my entire run, also occasionally using it to filter the air I was breathing. I pray to God that it was freshly landed and that I hadn't been inhaling dookie air for 5 miles. Needless to say, I ran REALLY fast to get home and change/shower immediately.

Jason and I went to dinner at San Antonio's again. We love that place because it has good food, and is really cheap. We got a hummita (like a tamale, but ground up spinach, choclo, and queso fresco), and a chicken and vegetable empanada, Jason got a chicken/peach/pineapple sandwhich, I got an "oriental" chicken salad, and we each got a pastry for dessert... all for 17 bucks. The food is really awesome, too. They have tons of pastries (sweet and savory), so I think we're going to start going there more and just trying everything. It's only about a 10 min walk, so that is nice as well.

At 6am, Jason and I are getting picked up to go to the Nasca Lines (those crazy huge "drawings" in the desert that were made between 500BC and 500AD). We take a bus that leaves at 7am, get there around 10:30am, take a flight over the lines, then spend the night in Paracas (on the coast). Then at 7am on Sunday, we get picked up for a boat tour of the islands, and we leave at 1:30pm, getting us back to Miraflores around 5:30pm. It should be really fun- I'm excited to take lots of pictures. I never even thought about going to see those lines... but now I'm really glad to add it to the list of life experiences. Send positive thoughts our way that we make all of our connections and find all of our tour guides :) We scheduled this all through a tour company, which I have total faith in... but it is always slightly stressful when you have multiple stops between points A and B.

I guess I'll be putting up pics Sunday night... I miss everyone a lot and glad my Flower Mound friends haven't been blown away [yet]. Stay safe & buenas noches a todos!

2 comments:

  1. you are right...this post is a winner! you poor thing...peru does not like you! :-/ but i hope you have fun on your trip and i cant wait to see pics! i miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's incredible is even though I work with birds 6 out of 7 days of the week, I have not been shit on once. Knock on wood.

    ReplyDelete