Tuesday, June 23, 2009

o.m.g.

Today has been my best and worst day in Peru- all in one!! I only have 5 min for an update, so here goes:

Lake Titicaca was WONDERFUL. So much fun, lots of pictures and stories to come.

When I got back, I went to the tour office to mee the girl that said she'd come with me to Chucuito tomorrow. We were planning our morning, and she called a bus company to find out that there is going to be a 3 day farmer strike starting tonight at midnight. Remember how they strike here...? That's right, by placing boulders in the roads. Do you know what happens when they do that? Buses get canceled, Kelyn doesn't make it to Lima, and misses her flight out on Friday. THUS, today has been an evening of drama. After an hour or so of trying to find a solution (no one knows for sure how bad the strike will be), my friends at the agency and I decided it would be best that I just skip town tonight. Nevermind I already paid for my hotel and bus ticket home (which really are insignificant compared to missing a flight...) but this is still quite annoying. I'm going to get to Arequipa at 4am, sit in the terminal till about 6 or 7am when there is light and I can actually be safely in public. I'm on the standard Peruvian bus that has no reclining seats, no blankets, no movies, no snacks, and no .. heat. I have 5 layers of clothes on right now, and I'm still going to hate life ha.

The bright side is that the girl from the agency is actually going to come to Arequipa with me. I was so upset and told them I was nervous about traveling alone and being a gringa, so I paid for her ida y vuelta tickets (10 bucks) and I have my own little security guard. I could've done it on my own, but they were insistent, and she's helped me a lot so far anyways. So I'm glad to have a new best Peruvian friend (sorry Jose Luis).

Well, time to hit the baño and get on the bus. I get another day in Arequipa, which I really didn't want, but this is much better than being stuck in Peru indefinitely or paying thousands of dollars that I just don't have. Will provide a better update tomorrow from Arequipa, or Thursday from Lima. Hasta luego.

No comments:

Post a Comment