Thursday, June 25, 2009

In Lima

Back at the apartment in Lima. Everything went fine on the bus trip- this one was better than when I left Lima for Arequipa. It was still bumpy and driving on the cliffs/curves scares me to death, but I was able to sleep more than last time. I talked to the guy next to me for a while (who apparently thought he paid to sit in half of my seat), and watched half of two movies (the bus attendant thought it was good to cut them off and then start a new one).

To sum up my travels this week: I spent the last two nights sleeping on a bus (not a bed), haven't had a hot shower since Monday, and my cankles have DEFINITELY returned (a few years ago, I had an experience on an overnight bus to Barcelona when I developed cantaloupe-sized ankles). My feet are actually bruised from being in the same shoes for so long and getting swollen on the bus - it's attractive. So I think today I'm going to lay down for a bit to redistribute the fluid in my body, go running for the first time in many, many days, and then Jason and I are getting a wonderful dinner at La Huaca Pucllana tonight- which includes a tour of the ruins at night time! :) I'm really excited.

Here are a few pics from the week, and most importantly: my cankles.


Volcano outside of Arequipa.



Santa Catalina Monastery in Arequipa. I have LOTS more pics to post of this place.


Staircase designed by Gustave Eiffel where I ate dinner (Zig Zag) in Arequipa.


My delicious dinner of ostrich and yucca in Arequipa.


Sunrise from the boat on Lake Titicaca. I have been awake before the sun WAY too many times down here :)


The Uros Islands (floating islands on the lake - many more pics of these, too).


The Uros women showing us how they eat the reeds. Tasty.


Me at Isla Taquile- a real island on Lake Titicaca that has 3000 year old ruins. That's old.


Little girl on Taquile. They wear this kind of hat till they are 5, then they change to a black shawl for their whole lives (and men have their own hats to denote if single or married).


HOLY CANKLE! (I actually do have normal sized ankles and feet most of the time, however they currently still look like this. Yes, it's painful.)

No comments:

Post a Comment