Monday, June 8, 2009

La gringa gigante

I just had my daily run... car fumes aside, running here is slightly more stressful than at home. Every single person I pass pauses whatever they are doing to take a 2nd look at me. I have three factors working against me: 1) I'm white, 2) I'm 5'11, and 3) I'm running. Anyone of these would be enough to catch most people's attention... we've only seen about ten other gringos the entire time we've been here (and the natives are NOT light skinned)... the tallest man we've seen is probably around 6'0... most women are barely 5'4. I, therefore, stick out slightly. And as far as running, the only time I've seen anyone do it is when they are trying to catch a bus. Not too many people seem to be interested in unrequired physical activity (granted, they walk more here... but still).

Oh, not to mention I sweat like a beast... which only makes the spectacle that is "me" more attractive. I did finally come across the Larcomar (famous shopping center) today... it's about 2.5 miles away. There is a Tony Roma's and a Chili's. Ohh globalization. I'm going to go rinse off and head back to the coast to take some pictures. I wish I could run with my camera- it takes about 8 minutes to jog to the ocean, but twice that to walk. At least I shouldn't be sweating too badly, so maybe only every other person will stop to stare.

1 comment:

  1. LMAO!!! This is the best post yet! ;-) BTW, I sweat like a beast too. :(

    ReplyDelete