Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Pisco Sours

Last night, Jason and I went out with a bunch of doctors from the university. We went to a super nice restaurant called "La Gloria" - and his project advisor, Dr. Montes, told us we all had to get pisco sours (the drink of Peru). It involves a grape liquor, an egg white, and juice (and other things that I probably don't want to know). Even Jason partook in the festivities- which was pretty entertaining. We also got ceviche (probably the best I've ever had), and some other appetizers (grilled octopus, more raw fish...). Jason enjoyed the raw fish, and the pisco... so I chalk it up as a win. The doctors also encouraged him to go to Cusco, and suggested some weekend trips we can take.

One of the doctors is heading to Galveston on Thursday (a lot of these people work back and forth between TX and Lima), so this was his "going away" party. There were 3 Peruvian doctors (Montes, Miguel, and Cesar), 1 post-doc from Germany (Birdie- who lives in Houston), and Jason and I. It was a LOT of fun. Dr. Montes and Birdie were asking me about exercise-related things... we got into a cytokine discussion (kill me! haha) but it was actually really fun to be able to talk to them about all that stuff. And they were impressed, so booyah. Montes also asked me some questions about working out that I was able to answer from an article I read in Women's Health- but he didn't have to know where the answer came from :)

I was going to go on rounds with Jason this morning, and I was actually really excited. BUT because we've had a steady diet of coffee, tomato sauce, oranges, and wine... my acid reflux is awful. Oh, and since we can only drink water out of bottles, I tend to chug a bunch at once rather than sip gracefully (I'm lazy and don't like to pour it in a glass- I'd rather just get it over with ha)... so that can't be good. The point being, I didn't sleep for about 3 hours last night because I was propped up against the wall trying to keep my stomach acid in my stomach and not rotting my esophagus. I took some medicine and drank some milk, and finally fell asleep around 7:15am, which was 15 min before we were supposed to leave for rounds. Thus, I am in the apartment being lazy today, and hoping Jason gets home soon so we can go out walking and exploring. I'm not even in the mood to run- stirring up my stomach just causes it to hurt more. I guess it's a good excuse to do nothing for a while. Hopefully something exciting will happen later on... that's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment