Thursday, June 4, 2009

Day 1

First of all- I just discovered Pandora does not have licensing outside of the United States. Whhhat?! Guess I'll have to plan out my own music listening now, womp.

So... today is dia #1. Here is my current view:

The apartment is nice... the location around us is definitely an "older" part of Miraflores- but from what I can tell, it seems safe. I emailed our apartment owner earlier this morning just to make sure, though. I want to go wandering around to check out the neighborhood, but asked him if there are any places I should avoid- we'll see what he says. I can always hit up the McDonald's I bet. Here's the apartment, full of our junk now:


Like most in Latin American countries, people use their car horns as a constant means of communication here. Someone is saying "hi" to his other driver friend right now, in fact. The taxi ride from the airport wasn't too bad- I only seriously thought we were going to crash twice. I need to get my hands on a bus map, because I really hate taxis (cost more, harder to rely on, and too much personal interaction, let's be honest...). I'm pretty resistant to break out my Spanish. As soon as I leave the apartment later, though, I'm done for. Jason LOVES it here because he gets to talk in Spanish all the time. He'll be sad to come home and have to speak only in English again.

He has only been at work for 2 days, but the project he was supposed to work on didn't get IRB approval for one of their trips (for data collection)- so he's doing all kinds of other cool stuff at the hospital instead (he's working at the local medical school). He did rounds (all in Spanish obviously) on Tuesday, and yesterday spent the majority of the day looking at poop (okay- parasites in poop). I think it's probably the happiest he could be ;) I'm going to go do rounds with him and do whatever lab work I can later on this week, but today was just a poop-looking day, so I passed.

Alright- I just turned on the TV for some background noise, and now Ellen is on... IN ENGLISH. There goes my morning... talk to you guys later :)

1 comment:

  1. you crack me up...sounds like it's going well so far! man, i am still so jealous!!!

    enjoy ellen! adios, amiga!

    ReplyDelete